I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Apple Tart

This recipe was given to me by Lisa Knight, who made it up herself (she's a genius!!). I made a couple of changes, but I love it!!!

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup flour (I use whole wheat)
2 apples, thinly sliced (peel if desired - I usually don't)
Topping:
Caramel syrup (1 cup or less, to taste)
OR 3 Tbsp brown sugar plus 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or more, to taste)

1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. Mix sugar and butter in a bowl with a fork or pastry cutter.
3. Cut in flour. Mix until it is a crumb mixture that can press into the bottom of a pan to become bottom crust. Mixture will be fairly dry.
4. Press into bottom and sides of a greased pan (9 inch pie, quiche/tart, or cake pan).
5. Lay apples in an overlapping pattern on top of crust. Bake 15 minutes. Open oven and drizzle caramel syrup or brown sugar/cinnamon on top of apples. Continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes more.

Note: Can be made gluten free with rice flour/tapioca flour mixture.
Variation: Spread 1/4 inch softened cream cheese on top of crust before the apple layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment