I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pear Crumble with Crystallized Ginger

Make this.  Eat this.  You won't be sorry.

For topping:
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)
2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

For filling:
3 lbs firm but ripe pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbsp minced crystallized ginger
1 1/2 Tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat)

Make topping:
Preheat oven to 375. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Mix first 5 ingredients in the bowl. Add butter and rub in with fingertips until moist clumps form.

Make filling:
Combine pear slices and lemon juice in large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and toss to blend.

Transfer filling to prepared dish. Sprinkle topping over. Bake crumble until pears are tender and topping is golden brown and crisp, about 40-45 minutes. Cool at least 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Source: Epicurious

Try #1 - September 8, 2012
This might be my best crumble effort ever.  As I'm prone to do, I left out a key ingredient (crystallized ginger), but you don't need it for a stellar pear crumble.  I'm sure it would be good with it, but it's definitely optional.  I reduced the sugar to 1/4 cup for the filling.  The crumble was perfectly tender and just the right amount of sweetness.  I will definitely make this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment