I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Chicken and Apple Curry

8 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (I prefer chicken thighs, and 3-4 is plenty!)
3 Tbsp butter
2 small onions, chopped
2 apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
1 Tbsp curry powder
3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup hot chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 tsp salt
Pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Saute apple and onion in butter until tender. Add curry powder and saute 1 minute more. Add flour and continue to cook 1 minute longer. Add stock or broth and milk; stir well.
3. Salt and pepper chicken breasts to taste and lay in a single layer in a 9x13 inch (or larger) baking dish. Pour sauce mixture over chicken breasts and bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until chicken is done.

Source: allrecipes.com

Try #1 - December 29, 2010
This was excellent. Nathan and the kids loved it, and it would be great to feed a larger crowd as well. The curry sauce was creamy and spicy. I chopped up 3 chicken thighs and cooked them in a separate pan (most of the way through) instead of putting them raw into the baking dish. (Eight chicken breasts seems like a lot for this recipe!! I think if I used this many I would have to double the sauce.) I also added potatoes to the apple/onion mix while I was sauteing them. I didn't cook the potatoes all the way through in the pan, and it took about 30 minutes in the oven to get them cooked. We served it over brown rice, with a side of peas.

Try #?? - June 27, 2011
This has become a family favorite. We've made it several times, and I don't bother to bake it anymore - I just do it all in the skillet and let it simmer for a while. It's simpler, faster, and less dishes. Chickpeas (as well as potatoes) are another good addition to this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment