I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, February 4, 2011

Crockpot Boston Baked Beans

3 cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 medium onions, chopped finely, or 2 T dried minced onion (I used one sweet onion)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp dried mustard (I used 1+ tsp spicy mustard)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 pound of bacon, or equivalent (ex. chicken and apple sausage) - optional

1. Drain and rinse your beans, and add them to the crockpot. Add onion and brown sugar. Pour in the molasses and ketchup. Add spices. Stir to combine.
2. Lay slices of uncooked bacon over the top of the beans, or slice chicken and apple sausage and lay it over the top.
3. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, or high for about 4. Discard the bacon after cooking, or mix in the sausage.

Source: A Year of Slow Cooking

Try #1 - February 6, 2011
These were great! I used dried pinto beans. After soaking the beans for about 6 hours, I cooked the them on Low in the crockpot overnight. In the morning, I drained the water and then added the other ingredients (except bacon - I made it vegetarian). It definitely didn't need the full 5-7 hours... I cooked it on Low for 2-3 hours, and then switched it to Warm to make sure the beans didn't get dried out.

No comments:

Post a Comment