I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Puerto Rican Rice and Beans

Vegetable oil
1 can (2 cups) pinto beans
1/4 to 1/3 cup tomato sauce
2 packages (3 tsp) Sazon seasoning (or make your own)
3 "big spoon" scoops of Sofrito
4 cups uncooked white rice
5 cups water (less if adding liquid from beans, about 4/12 cups)
Adobo seasoning (can buy at the store or make your own)
Salt

1. Put enough vegetable oil in pot to just cover bottom. Add Sofrito, Sazon, beans, and tomato sauce. Cook a few minutes.
2. Stir in rice. Add water. Add Adobo seasoning and salt (5-6 shakes of each). Bring to a boil. Put lid on pot, slightly uncovered. Cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes.
3. Stir once or twice until liquid is absorbed. Stir rice once more. Cover completely and put on low heat for about 10 minutes. Taste to see if it's cooked.

Sofrito: Cut into chunks 3 onions, 2 green peppers, 1 red pepper, 1 head of garlic, 1 small bunch of cilantro, stems removed. Put 1 Tbsp water in a blender and blend. Add and mix in 1 Tbsp olive oil.

Source: Melissa

Note: Can use leftover beans/tomato sauce from Tomato Red Beans and Rice.

Try #1 - March 6, 2011
I was worried about soggy rice, but this came out great! I actually slightly burned the rice, so I will probably turn the heat down a little bit next time. Good compliments to this dish are sour cream, cilantro, and a side of corn.

Try #3 - June 3, 2012
I've made this three times now, and each time I manage to burn the rice to the bottom of the pan during the second step... this time I even turned the heat down to medium.  I wonder if I cooked it in the kazan if it would work better.  Either that, or turn the heat way down.  Regardless, it's still yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment