I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Turkey Noodle Soup

About 2 lbs bones from a cooked turkey, plus any leftover juices and/or cooked garnishes (such as pieces or carrot, onion, or garlic)
4 quarts water
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
1 medium leek, trimmed (leaving some green), split, washed, and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 cups)
1 cup diced (1/2-inch) celery
3 cups coarsely chopped outer lettuce leaves or leftover salad greens (I used baby spinach)
1/2 cup fine egg noodles (vermicelli) (I used regular "wavy" egg noodles)

1. Put the turkey bones, juices, and cooked garnishes, if you have them, in a large stainless steel stockpot. Add the water and bring to a strong boil, skimming off and discarding the fat and scum from the surface as it appears. Reduce the heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 1 1/2 hours.
2. Strain the stock. You should have 8 cups. If you have more, return the stock to the rinsed-out pot and boil until it is reduced to 8 cups; if you have less, add water to bring it up to 8 cups and return to the rinsed-out pot. Pick the meat from the bones and add it to the stock.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients except the egg noodles to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and boil gently for 10 minutes.
4. Add the egg noodles and continue to boil gently, covered, for another 10 minutes. Serve.

Source: Essential Pepin

Try #1 - December 29, 2011
This was really good! A simple turkey noodle soup, but very fresh-tasting and light. It was also very aesthetically pleasing to me - I think it was the wavy noodles and dark spinach together. I did use a lot more noodles (and a different kind) than the recipe called for - about half a bag (6 oz). The one thing I would add is some salt - the recipe surprisingly calls for no seasonings, which might be ok if you start out with well-seasoned turkey bones/garnishes, but our soup needed a little extra salt.

Try #2 - March 5, 2012
This soup came out just as good the second time around. I used 4 cups of turkey broth and added 4 cups of water. I added 1 teaspoon of salt. My favorite noodle soup!

Try #? - October 2012
I've made this several times, and this time I used chicken instead of turkey.  Still just as good!

No comments:

Post a Comment