I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Vegetable and Navy Bean Soup

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
4 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 pound button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1/4 tsp dried thyme
salt to taste
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 cups water
10 ounces spinach
1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 Tbsp red-wine vinegar, optional
pepper

1. In a large nonstick skillet or heavy pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and potatoes; cook until onion is lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, and salt; cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in tomato paste, and 2 cups water; cover, and cook until potatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. Add half the spinach; cover, and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Add remaining spinach and beans; cook (covered) until heated through. Stir in 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar if desired. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.

Source: Let's Eat!

Try #1 - January 5, 2012
I was a fan of this soup, Nathan not so much. He liked the flavor but didn't like the texture of the spinach and mushrooms - thought they were both slimy. The spinach is my fault - I used frozen baby spinach (as in, spinach normally used for salads), which I knew was not the best choice but was all I had. I would have to disagree on the slimy mushrooms - I thought they were fine, and I'm not usually a mushroom fan. I would make this soup again, but use fresh spinach next time. I also used a mix of kidney/pinto beans I had frozen - I'm sure any bean would be fine. This also didn't make a ton, so I would consider doubling the recipe if I wanted to be assured of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment