I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Mediterranean-Style Pot Roast

1 2- to 3-pound boneless beef check pot roast
1 Tbsp cooking oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with basil, oregano, and garlic, undrained
1/4 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp dried herbes de Provence, crushed
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 cup (2 oz) crumbled feta cheese

1. Trim fat from meat.  In large skillet, brown meat on all sides in hot oil.  Drain off fat.  Set aside.
2. Place onions in slow cooker.  Add meat.  In a medium bowl, stir together tomatoes, olives, Worcestershire sauce, herbes de Provence, and pepper.  Pour over mixture in slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours, or on high-heat for 4 to 5 hours.
4. Remove meat from slow cooker.  Cut meat into 6 serving-size pieces.  Arrange meat on a serving platter.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to serving platter, reserving juices.  Spoon enough of the juices over meat and vegetables to moisten.  Sprinkle with feta cheese.  Serves 6.

Source: ??

Try #1 - January 5, 2013
I've had this recipe in my folder for over 5 years... and not tried it until now.  I have no idea where it came from, except I'm pretty sure I copied it down at Brady and Erin's old apartment.  First try was a good one - I cooked it on low for 8 or 9 hours, and the meat was so tender that it just fell apart.  Which is success, in my opinion.  I omitted the olives because I don't like olives, but I can see how that would have added to the dish.  I think it could have used some salt - maybe the olives would have provided some of the saltiness.  Overall a good dish.  I served it over mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment