I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Tuna-Noodle Casserole

3 cups medium noodles (4 oz) or 1 cup elbow macaroni (3.5 oz) - I always use a box of pasta, 12 to 16 oz
1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
1 Tbsp butter, melted
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup all-purpose flour - I double the flour, salt, and milk when I use a full box of pasta
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 cups milk
1 9- or 9.25-oz can tuna, drained and broken into chunks, or two 6-oz cans skinless, boneless salmon, drained
1 cup cheddar cheese cubes (4 oz)
1/4 cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper or pimiento
1 cup frozen vegetables, thawed

1. Cook noddles according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.  Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs and 1 Tbsp melted butter; set aside.
2. For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook celery and onion in 1/4 cup hot butter until tender.
3. (See note above about doubling sauce.)  Stir in flour, salt, dry mustard, and black pepper.  Add milk all at once; cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly.
3. Combine cooked noodles, sauce, tuna, vegetables, cheese cubes, and roasted pepper.  Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole (or larger if using full box of pasta).  Sprinkle with crumb mixture.  Bake, uncovered, in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden.

Source: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

Try #??
I've made this many times, this is just the first time I'm recording it on this blog.  Four ounces of pasta is a ridiculously small amount, in my mind, so I always use a full package (12 to 16 oz) of pasta.  If I do that, I double the flour, salt, and milk (but not the butter) to make more sauce.  Broccoli is a good addition to this casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment