I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Sauteed Mushroom and Avocado Hummusadillas

2 Tbsp olive oil
3 shallots, thinly sliced (or substitute onions)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 medium portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced (I used peppers and zucchini instead of mushrooms)
4 Tbsp hummus
2 large tortillas
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
Fresh arugula

1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Add the mushrooms and cook until most of the juice is reduced and the mushrooms turn golden brown.
2. Spread 2 tablespoons of the hummus over one side of a tortilla.  Add half of the sauteed mushrooms over hummus and fold the tortilla in half.
3. Cook both sides in a skillet until each side gets a nice crust with slightly charred spots.  Repeat for the second quesadilla.  After they are cooked, open the fold briefly to add the avocado slices and fresh arugula.

Source: Easy Vegan Breakfasts & Lunches, by Maya Sozer

Try #1 - February 20, 2022
The idea of a hummus "quesadilla" intrigued me, so I decided to give this recipe a try despite not loving sauteed mushrooms.  Instead of mushrooms, I sauteed onions, peppers, and zucchini.  The result was delicious!  So delicious I made it again for lunch two days later.  Seems like a versatile recipe - could sauté various vegetables and probably add some black beans.  I loved the hummus in place of cheese - my new favorite way to eat hummus.  Yum!
Update: I had this three times in one week, it was that good.  Abby liked it too and made it a couple of times for herself!  I added kale instead of arugula, which was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment