I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Brazilian Rice and Beans

2 cups dried pinto or kidney beans (or 6 cups cooked beans)
4 cups total of 2-4 of the following vegetables:
- potato
- chayote
- cabbage
- pumpkin
- okra
- carrot
1/2 lb ground meat (beef or pork)
1/4 lb smoked meat (bacon, sausage, etc.)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp coriander
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

1. Soak beans overnight. Cook in 6 cups water until tender, about 2 hours.
2. In saucepan, cook together about 4 cups of 2-4 of vegetables listed. Cook just until tender.
3. In a skillet, saute ground meat, smoked meat, garlic, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, coriander, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Simmer 30 minutes.
4. Join beans, vegetables, and meat mixture and heat together 2 minutes. Serve with rice.

Source: More-With-Less

Try #1 - April 10, 2011
I used potatoes and carrots for my veggies. I just used one pan - sauted the carrots and potatoes first, and then added the ingredients in step 3. I didn't let it simmer for 30 minutes, because there wasn't really any juices for it to simmer in, but I basically let it cook until the meat was cooked and the vegetables were tender. I used ground beef and chicken andouille sausage, which gave it a nice kick (but could be easily picked out of the kids' servings, since Abby especially has become more picky about spicy foods). This was good, and a nice twist on regular rice and beans - I'll make it again!

Try #2 - May 2011
I made it vegetarian this time, and it was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment