I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Six-Layer Dish

Layer in order given in a 2 qt. greased casserole, seasoning each layer with salt and pepper:

2 medium potatoes, sliced
2 medium carrots, sliced
1/3 cup uncooked rice
2 small onions, sliced
1 cup kidney beans, cooked and drained (optional)
1 pound ground beef (or browned pork sausage)
1 quart canned tomatoes

Sprinkle over:
1 Tbsp brown sugar

Bake at 300 degrees for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

Source: More-With-Less

Try #1 - April 12, 2011
The kids loved this! I think it was the brown-sugared tomatoes. :) Nathan was not such a fan, but it was such a big hit with the kids that I will make it again. Next time I would use smaller and/or sweet onions - mine were huge and they didn't quite sweeten up enough. I also used ground turkey instead of ground beef, which I think made the dish a little drier than if I had used beef. But overall, a good dish, easy to make with ingredients I normally have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment