I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, February 1, 2013

Baked Oatmeal

1/2 cup canola oil (I use 1/3 cup)
3/4 cup sugar (I reduce to 1/2 cup, and have gone as low as 1/4 cup)
2 eggs
3 cups oats (quick or old-fashioned both work)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 chopped pear or apple (optional, but highly recommended)

Mix oil, sugar, and eggs until yellow and glossy.  Add remaining ingredients and beat until blended.  Put in 8x 11 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Note: Can be assembled the night before and refrigerated, then put in the oven in the morning!

Source: adapted from MOPS 2008 Cookbook

Try #1, 2, 3... - January 2013
I've made this recipe 3 times already in the last month... it's that good.  I add chopped pear, which really makes the recipe for me.  A hit with the whole family, and a nice change from boring old oatmeal.  I even ate it as a snack... it reheats well in the microwave.

Note: The original recipe is actually double what I posted, and says you can still bake it in a 9x13... this probably works fine, but 6 cups seemed like a ton of oats to me, and 3 cups feeds my family of 5 perfectly.

Try #4 - February 5, 2013
I reduced the oil to 1/3 cup and sugar to 1/4 cup and while it was obviously less sweet, it was still good, especially with the pear chunks to give a burst of sweetness every few bites.  The kids still wanted seconds and thirds, so I guess they didn't notice the decreased amount of sugar, and I feel better about including this in our regular breakfast rotation with a reduced amount of oil and sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment