I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pumpkin Soup

From allrecipes.com

1 2/3 pounds sugar pumpkin -- peeled, seeded and cubed (I used 6 cups of pureed pumpkin)
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 onions, cut into wedges
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large potato, sliced
1 quart water (or use some pumpkin stock!)
3 cubes chicken bouillon, crumbled
1 cup heavy cream (I used plain yogurt)
1 1/4 tablespoons ground nutmeg (I used 1/2 Tbsp)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
salt to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Place pumpkin, carrots and onions in a baking dish or roasting pan. Drizzle with vegetable oil.
3. Bake in preheated oven 40 minutes, until soft but not blackened.
4. In a large pot over medium heat, bring water and bouillon to a boil. Cook potato in simmering water until soft, about 20 minutes.
5. Combine potato and water with roasted vegetables and puree in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender until smooth. Return to pot over low heat, and stir in cream, nutmeg, pepper and salt. Heat gently; serve.

Try #1 - November 9, 2010
I made some changes to this recipe - I sauteed the onions, potatoes, and carrots together in the olive oil instead of roasting them. This just seemed easier to me, and less chance of error. Plus I already had pureed pumpkin cooked from last weekend. I also used plain yogurt instead of the heavy cream. I could definitely taste the yogurt flavor in the soup, but it was still good. Made a lot! I don't know how much a nearly 2 pound pumpkin would make, but I used 6 cups of pumpkin puree. I also used about 2 cups of pumpkin stock (so I only needed to add 2 more cups of water). Also, 1 1/2 Tbsp of nutmeg sounded like a lot of nutmeg, so I only used about 1/2 Tbsp.

No comments:

Post a Comment