I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, January 18, 2013

Steel-Cut Oats with Dates and Cinnamon

1 cup steel-cut oats
3 cups water
4 pitted dates, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 Tbsp butter

Place all ingredients in a pan and stir briefly; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.

For a quicker version, soak steel-cut oats in 2-quart pan with water for 8 to 12 hours or overnight.  In the morning add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes.

Serve with your favorite toppings.

Source: Feeding the Whole Family

Try #1 - January 18, 2013
I've struggled in the past to like steel-cut oats, but this recipe did it for me!  I left out the dates, but stirred raisins into the kids' oatmeal after it was cooked.  I also topped each bowl with homemade applesauce.  Delicious - I even went for seconds!  Amazing what a little cinnamon, salt, and butter can do to improve breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment