I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Beer Bread

3 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 bottle (12 oz) beer, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 375.  In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.  Add the beer all at once, mixing as little as possible; the batter should be lumpy.
2. Pour the batter into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and brush with the melted butter.  Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.  Turn out onto a rack to cool.

Source: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Beer-Batter-Bread-104160

Try #1 - March 2012
This was awesome.  So good.  I substituted some whole wheat flour, and it worked fine.  I used a hefeweizen, which seemed to work fine too.

Try #2 - April 27, 2012
So, IPA (India Pale Ale) is NOT the beer to use for this recipe.  Nathan thinks it was the overabundance of hops in the beer, whatever that really means.  The bread tasted just like beer to me, with all the qualities that I hate about beer - the flavor, the bitter aftertaste, yuck.  The kids didn't seem to mind, and Nathan liked it, since he likes beer.  So if you're looking for a beer-flavored beer bread, use IPA.  As for me, the next time I will try a dark beer, which is what seems to be the recommended brew for beer bread.

Also, I used 2 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup white flour.

No comments:

Post a Comment