I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Split Pea Soup

1 medium onion, chopped
5-6 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
Olive oil
2 cups split peas (1 bag)
7 cups water*
1 tsp thyme (I've also used rosemary instead)
2 bay leaves
Ham, diced and cooked (optional)

1. Saute onions and carrots in olive oil.
2. Add water, split peas, celery, thyme, bay leaves, and ham. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours, or until peas are soft.
3. Serve with French bread and a dollop of plain yogurt.

Can also be cooked in the crockpot.

*Can also use ham stock - simmer ham bone in 7 cups of water.

Try #?? - March 27, 2011
I've made this soup tons of times, but this time I used chicken broth instead of water and cooked it in the crock pot for 4 hours on high. I liked it better this time than our previous times, so I may stick with those changes!

No comments:

Post a Comment