I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Curried Potatoes


From Vegetarian Times, June 2008

1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 medium onions, diced (3 cups)
3 cloves garlic, minced (1 Tbsp)
4 large Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
3 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces (1 cup)
2 Tbsp Madras curry powder
1 15-oz can black beans
3 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped (1/4 cup)
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
Salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook 5 to 7 minutes, or until onions are soft and translucent. Stir in potatoes, carrots, and curry powder, and cook 4 minutes.
2. Add beans and their liquid, tomatoes, broth, jalapeno chiles, vinegar, and 1 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 45 minutes, or until potatoes are flaky and carrots are cooked through, stirring occasionally.

My note: Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

Try #1 - March 18, 2010
I followed this recipe very loosely, based on what I had...

1 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion
1/2 green pepper
1 heaping Tbsp minced garlic
2 Russet potatoes, unpeeled
2 carrots
1 1/2 Tbsp red curry powder
1 15-oz can black beans
1 15-oz garbanzo beans
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 jalapeno chile
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 cup water
Salt

Served over brown rice with plain yogurt.

Note: At first I thought this dish was rather bland - spicy, but not much flavor. But then I took a little break from dinner to feed William, and when I came back about 20 minutes later for another helping, I found I liked it much better. Plus, I think the sauce had thickened a bit. So, next time I would let the dish stand for 10 minutes or so before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment