I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Honey Whole Wheat Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
2/3 tsp salt
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey (can be reduced to 3 Tbsp)
1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Bake on whole wheat cycle (5 hours in my machine), 1 pound loaf. (I did large setting the first time, will try medium next time. Also should bake on light crust setting, as medium turned out too dark.)

Source: allrecipes.com

Try #1 - March 8, 2010
I tweaked this recipe based reviewer comments, and the fact that I only had 1/4 cup bread flour left. :) We'll see how it turns out!

Update: FAIL!!
The bread didn't mix, because the paddle fell off! So, we woke up to a wonderful smelling house, but a disastrous looking "bread". Sadly we had to toss it. :( But, the delicious aroma makes me want to give it another go sometime in the future.



Try #2 - April 16, 2010
I'm so glad I tried this recipe again! This bread is delicious - tastes just like Franz's "Whole Wheat with Pockets of Honey" bread, in my opinion. The consistency and taste would make it a good sandwich bread.

To try to prevent the paddle from coming off again, I heated the honey for 30 seconds in the microwave (to make it less viscous) and mixed the warm water with it before adding it to the dry ingredients. Although I don't know if the honey was the cause of the failure last time (the paddle wasn't completely clean, which may have been the problem), I think I would do this again, since the bread came out great!

The only change I would make next time is to use the "light crust" setting - the crust turned out a little too dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment