I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Mango Salsa


I saw this on Food Network's "Ultimate Recipe Showdown," and it looked delicious! He served it with grilled shrimp and scallops. Also great with a mild white fish.

1/4 cup pomegranate seeds (Trader Joe's sells frozen pomegranate seeds)
1 medium mango, peeled and flesh diced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
2 scallions, green part only, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro leaves
1 tablespoon diced Vidalia onion
10 mint leaves, chopped
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon mirin*
Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper

*Note: If you don't have mirin (a sweet rice wine from Japan), you can just use dry sherry or sweet marsala. Or you can dissolve a small amount of sugar in a little white wine or sherry, perhaps a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar to 1/4 cup wine wine. Or, try apple juice.

Click for Full Recipe

Try #1 - March 28, 2010
Very fresh tasting, although a little too onion-y - I forgot to follow the directions about only including the green part of the scallions, and the "sweet" onion I used (yellow sweet onion) wasn't very sweet at all. I used marsala cooking wine instead of the mirin, and that was fine. I also used 1 1/2 limes instead of 2 - and next time I think one lime would be enough. And, since I didn't want to pay for fresh mint leaves, I used our dried crushed mint. The pomegranate seeds were fun but probably not absolutely necessary.

I served this with a white fish and brown rice. The white fish was totally tasteless, so this flavorful salsa was perfect with it. It was also really good with the brown rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment