I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Spinach Souffle


The actual name of the recipe is "Spinach Loaf," but I think that sounds kind of gross so I renamed it the more sophisticated (if not entirely accurate) "Spinach Souffle."

2 cups frozen spinach OR 2 qt.-saucepan fresh spinach, heaping full
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten (can increase number of eggs)
3 small potatoes, cooked and diced, optional

Preheat oven to 350. Cook spinach briefly and drain well. Make a white sauce with the butter, flour, pepper, salt, and milk. Combine spinach, white sauce, and eggs, and pour into a buttered casserole dish. Bake 35-40 minutes, until knife inserted comes out clean.

Options:
- Saute 1 onion, chopped, in butter when making white sauce.
- Add 3/4 cup grated cheese to white sauce.

Source: More-With-Less

Try #1 - August 23, 2010
I used fresh spinach. I was trying to make this as a main dish, so I added the extra "options" (onion and cheddar cheese), and also added one small potato (cooked and chopped). Next time I would add up to 3 potatoes (I only had one in my pantry tonight). I served it with whole wheat herb bread and a side of corn. We ate the whole thing... a kid-pleaser once again! Yay for kids eating spinach! :)

Try #2 (or 3?)
Changes I made: increased potatoes to 4 small gold. Incresed eggs to 4. This made the meal go much further (and included leftovers!). Note to self: 1 lb of spinach is too much (at least of TJ's fresh baby spinach). 1/2 lb spinach is about right.

Try #4 - January 11, 2011
Used 2 cups frozen spinach, 4 eggs, and 4 golden potatoes (cooked with the onions at the beginning). Added shredded carrots to the white sauce. Cooked it in a shallower dish this time (glass 8x11 pan). This may have been our best one yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment