I never claimed to be a photographic genius.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Vietnamese Chicken Salad


From "Extending the Table"

1 lb chicken pieces, deboned (I used 2 chicken breasts)
3-4 cups cabbage, chopped in thin slices
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
3 green onions, chopped (I used walla walla sweet onions)
3 sprigs cilantro or fresh parsley, finely chopped
1/2 cup peanuts or cashews, coarsely chopped (optional) (I used peanuts)
black and ground red pepper to taste

1. Cook and debone chicken, chop into pieces.
2. Place cabbage in a serving bowl. Rub salt into cabbage and let stand a few minutes.
3. Add chicken and remaining ingredients. Mix and serve.

Try #1 - August 19, 2010
I was pleasantly surprised with this dish. I didn't really know what to expect with the ingredient combination, but it was light and flavorful. I definitely would not make the nuts optional - it added a lot to the dish. I didn't think it was going to be enough for dinner, though, so I served it with summer squash soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment